What is a Good Website Name
Updated: March 14, 2021
What is a good website name? This question can be answered right away – it’s a TOP level Domain Name plus a Primary Keyword inside the domain name.
Selection of the domain name for your business website – actually is a selection of a short name for your online business, which certainly is very important. If this domain name is well-chosen and well-remembered, it could further attract more visitors to your business website. Do not forget to include in the domain name you primary keyword.
As a rule, many domain names are already taken by other people, so you should gradually find your best combination. Experimenting with different keywords you’ll get an acceptable option for top level domain.
Many websites propose to buy domain names and host services at the same time. This is not quite good, as each site is specialized in one think for a reason.
Do not hurry! First select the domain name of a top quality, because after buying it can’t be changed. As for host services they are also very important, but can be changed at any time. Therefore, at this stage, try first of all to choose well the domain name. Below you’ll find some useful things on what is a good website name and how to choose a TOP level domain.
So, here we discuss:
- Choosing a Domain Name for Website
- Tools to Help You Find Domain Names
- Good Domain Name Features
- Conclusion and Notes
1. Choosing a Domain Name for Website
Domain name, as opposed to human names, are unique, i.e. two identical can’t be. Therefore, if you build a serious website, you need to give big attention to the selection of the name.
Use Namecheap to check for domain name availability and find your low cost domains.
What Domains Levels are the Most Common?
Most often, the domains are divided into three levels:
- The first-level domain name – means the ownership of a domain to a particular country (CcTLD) or to a type of organization (GTLD). For example, . de – Germany, . us – United States, and, for example, . com – for commercial sites, . edu – for educational institutions, . gov – for government agencies, . net – for network organizations, . org – for nonprofit organizations, . mil – for military organizations. Domains of this level can’t be registered by the average person. They are used to represent only the domain accessory
- The second-level domain name – is the domain name, which is lower in the hierarchical domain name space than the first level domain. Second-level domains are mainly used by web masters to bind a website to the hosting. For example, the domain mysite.de is a second-level domain. Second-level domains can be registered by any person
- The third-level of the domain – is similar to the same thing as the second-level domain, but it is still lower than the second-level domain. These domains usually are used to create mini-sites, forums, and large sections based on the main website. For example, other.mysite.de is third-level domain
What is a Good Website Name for Online Business?
Try to choose a name for your business website with the extension .com. Despite the seeming simplicity of the matter and action on top level domain choosing, you probably will have little trouble, as domains you want to apply are often sold, especially for – .com extension, and you’ll have to test different combinations until you find a suitable one.
When you select a domain name you should remember about the very important thing – the Primary Keyword should be included in a domain name. If you include your primary keyword in the domain name you make your SEO efforts easier and the home page of your business website will have better chance of ranking high in the search engines.
So, be sure to consider the following when deciding what to name your website:
- The Primary Keyword can be written together or by using a dash. For example, your primary keyword is – online business ideas. You can test domains for – www.onlinebusinessideas.com, or www.online-business-ideas.com
- The most popular extensions for domain names are – .com, .org, and .net. For search engines – they are all equal, but for people – no, since people, if they have forgotten the full name of the website or what extension the website has, they usually add .com. Therefore, you should strive to use .com, or there might be some loss in traffic to the website
- Do not use .info and .biz, search engines do not like them, in addition, they are often used by spammers. Also, do not use .gov and .edu, as they are for the government and educational institutions
- Try to make the name short. The shorter the domain name, the better. First, the short name is much easier to remember, and secondly – the probability of making a mistake when entering the name is much less
- The name should be easy to read and pronounce, and to be such that is easy to write. Because of this, it will stand out from the crowd and it’ll be easy to remember for many people. It should also be descriptive, to reflect the essence of your online business and to arouse interest and focus on it
Here you also are seriously limited by the fact that your primary keyword is targeted to your business niche, so you have no so much flexibility in choosing domain name. If many combinations for domain name will be occupied, then you’ll have to find another primary keyword and perform its evaluation.
The result of this work should be – the selected domain name with .com extension and with your primary keyword inside.
2. Tools to Help You Find Domain Names
Very often it happens that the required domain name already exists, and we have to either change the keyword, or to refuse to input the keyword in the domain name, which is highly undesirable.
In such cases, it’s good to use the special tools that can facilitate the search for a domain name, and even suggest new ideas. In particular, these tools will help you to generate business name ideas, to generate a business name, to check domain name availability instantly, to generate a list of available domains based on a submitted word, to see what others are looking to register as a source of inspiration, others.
3. Good Domain Name Features
Domain Naim Must Have . com Extension
As we discussed earlier, a .com domain is usually the most effective way to go. This extension is the most preferred around, and it is already cornered in people’s thoughts.
The visitors coming to your website by using search engines or organic links will pay attention mostly to the domain name and not to the URL. The next time they want to visit your website it is most likely that they will just type its name followed by a .com.
Domain Name is to Be Short
Good domain names are short. If you definitely need some advice, try to go below 10 characters, and by no means go over 20. As for the number of words in the domain name, it is undesirable to exceed 3-4 words, it’s the limit.
It Should be Easy to Remember
Many people do not use bookmarks. They simply remember the domains of their preferred websites and type them every time they want to visit one. So, if your domain is complicated and not quick to don’t forget, you’ll lose these visitors.
As to the spelling, stay away from uncommon foreign words, words that have difficult pronunciation, unusual mixtures of letters, etc, that might lead to someone to misspell your domain name.
The Name Should Be Descriptive
Owning a descriptive domain name you’ll give the visitors an idea of what your website is about just before they visit it. If the related keywords are included in the domain name, it might also support your website search engine rankings.
Most single-word domains are used and you might need to create your own word. Try to compound two or three words (like YouTube, or MicroSoft), blending parts of some words together, tweaking a word (Flickr), affixing a word with a prefix or a suffix (like, Shopify), or making up an absolutely unique name (like, Odeo).
When buying a domain name, avoid something too similar to competing domain names and make sure not to violate someone else’s trademark.
4. Conclusion and Notes
So, Google treats the domain name of the website as part of the algorithm and the criteria by which the search engine evaluates the website. If your website is well optimized and the domain name contains the basic selected keyword, then there is a good chance to see it in the first results of search engines.
What is important in this regard:
It is desirable to make the domain name short and easy to remember. Also, the name should be meaningful and associated with your business. If a domain name is associated with the website content, it will be more clear to the public and easier to remember.
* * *